About the Ministry
Water is an important natural resource of Nepal. The immense quantity of water available in the country and its potentiality to generate hydro based power, provide us the opportunity of overcoming the barriers of economic development in this beautiful Himalayan country.
The responsibility of utilization and management of this resource lies in the Ministry of Energy. Management of production of energy for the expansion of industrial and economic activities are the objectives of this ministry.
As per the Work Division (Second Amendment) Rules, 2066 of Government of Nepal, this ministry has been entrusted with the following tasks:
- Development of policies, plan and implementation for conservation, regulation and utilization of energy.
- Conduct survey, research and feasibility study of energy and its utilization.
- Construction, operation and maintenance and promotion of multipurpose electricity project.
- Development of Human Resources and their capacity building.
- Study, research, feasibility study, construction, operation, maintenance and development of energy development and electricity development projects.
- Matters related to energy and electricity and companies and corporations related to energy and electricity.
- Promotion of private parties in electricity development.
- Matters related to national and international level seminars, workshops and contacts.
- Matters related to bilateral and multilateral dialogues, agreements and understandings regarding energy and electricity.
- Matters related to tax.
- Coordination of institutions related to electricity.
- Matters related to recruitment, transfer, promotion, fixation of minimum qualification for first appointment, determination of subject and qualification to be accounted for promotion and departmental action of employees under following Engineering Services :
- Electrical Engineering Group
- Mechanical Engineering Group
- Hydropower Sub-group
- Hydrology Sub-group
- Engineering Geology Sub-group